||Home > Training Catalog >
Match Your Storage to Your Video Media
This is the first in Larry Jordan’s series, The Fundamentals of Final Cut Pro. This episode looks at the relationship between video formats and hard disk storage. In almost every case, a dropped frame error is caused by a hard disk that isn't fast enough to support the video format you are editing. In this session, you'll learn how to pick the right storage for your media, avoid problems with dropped frames, and keep your system running smoothly.
This session does not review, or recommend, specific gear or manufacturers. Rather, it explains what you need to consider in determining which storage to buy or use.
This episode is designed for people configuring their system, or making the switch from standard definition video to high definition. While this contains a lot of technical information, it does not require a lot of computer or editing expertise on the part of the viewer.
• Help you understand why dropped frames occur
• Show that hard disks are more than storage
• Define Data Transfer Rate
• Provide four keys to selecting the right storage
• Explain the technical "secrets" of hard disks that limit performance
• Show how you connect your hard disk to the computer affects speed
• Illustrate the benefits and limitations of using Solid State Drives for video
• Explain RAIDs, how they are rated, and how to select the right one
• Show how to measure the speed of your hard disk
• Showcase the hard disk requirements of popular SD video formats
• Showcase the hard disk requirements of popular HD video formats
• Explain why multiclips requires more performance from your storage
• Provide examples of how to provision your system
• Show how different video formats demand different performance from storage
• Illustrate what types of hard disks will safely support your media
NOTE: The initial webinar was sponsored by Data Robotics, Inc.
In today’s world, time and timing are everything.
Deadlines get tighter, budgets lower, client expectations higher, and technology moves on. It’s a recipe for disaster, unless you can find a fast, yet in-depth way to keep your skills sharp.
That’s where Larry Jordan can help.
Larry Jordan is the most highly sought after Apple-Certified Final Cut trainer in the world. With over 30 years experience as a television producer, director and editor with national broadcast and corporate credits, Jordan’s informative and entertaining teaching style provides video editors around the world with unique techniques, methods and resources to increase productivity and enhance their skills. He’s been there – he knows the pressure you are under.
Jordan reveals the hidden tips and tricks you never hear about, and may never find on your own. His presentation style is well organized, succinct and practical. Jordan’s training can save you time, save you money, save your client, and save your sanity, during production and post-production.
Jordan, based in Los Angeles, writes and edits the monthly free Larry Jordan Final Cut Studio Newsletter, with essential information on Final Cut Studio. He is the author of hundreds of hours of online training and five books on Final Cut Studio. He also hosts the weekly interactive internet radio show and podcast, Digital Production BuZZ (http://www.digitalproductionbuZZ.com).
For more information about Larry Jordan, please visit http://www.larryjordan.biz.
Training featuring Larry