||Home > Training Catalog >
Create Great Effects Inside Final Cut Pro
Creating effects is the coolest part of working with Final Cut Pro -- providing you know how.
Otherwise, it's an exercise in frustration. In this one-hour Final Cut Pro tutorial, Larry Jordan shows you how to create some very cool effects using the tools that Final Cut ships with.
Filled with step-by-step, real-world examples, this session covers motion effects, text effects, generators, and shows what the filters in FCP can REALLY do! This also explains hard-to-understand concepts of keyframes, composite modes, and nests. Learn how to use Final Cut Pro to bring your imagination to life!
NOTE: This presentation supports features found in Final Cut Pro version 5 or later. All effects are created using features found inside Final Cut Pro, no third-party software is used. This tutorial does not show how to create effects inside the application Motion.
This session is helpful for the self-taught or infrequent user, as well as an experienced user who wants to understand how to create effects in general, and not just provide a "cookbook" of steps.
• Introduce the three effects groups inside Final Cut - text, motion, filters
• Show how to create text effects
• Show how to create motion effects
• Show how to create filter effects
• Show how the groups work together to create more complex effects
• Define keyframes and show how to use them
• Show how to improve rendering of scaled or rotated images
• Define composite modes and show how to use them
• Define nests and show how to use them
• Define generators and show how to use them
• Effect example: Create and modify a text clip
• Effect example: Create a multi-color text effect
• Effect example: Use composite modes to add texture to a text clip
• Effect example: Use a partial transition to wipe to a split-screen effect
• Effect example: Warp images using the Distort tool
• Effect example: Use keyframes to modify an image over time
• Effect example: Create a nest, then modify a group of images with keyframes
• Effect example: Change the anchor point to provide variety in scale and rotation
• Effect example: Create non-standard sizes for QuickTime movies
• Effect example: Soften skin tones with blurs and composite modes
• Effect example: Create a traveling matte - video inside a shape
• Effect example: Create a vignette - darkening the edges of an image
• Effect example: Create a better sepia-toned image
• Effect example: Show where to find the Bars and Tone generator
• Effect example: Add "punch" to landscapes using gradients and composite modes
• Effect example: Create a starship time-warp (OK, I couldn't resist!)
In today’s world, time and timing are everything.
Deadlines get tighter, budgets lower, client expectations higher, and technology moves on. It’s a recipe for disaster, unless you can find a fast, yet in-depth way to keep your skills sharp.
That’s where Larry Jordan can help.
Larry Jordan is the most highly sought after Apple-Certified Final Cut trainer in the world. With over 30 years experience as a television producer, director and editor with national broadcast and corporate credits, Jordan’s informative and entertaining teaching style provides video editors around the world with unique techniques, methods and resources to increase productivity and enhance their skills. He’s been there – he knows the pressure you are under.
Jordan reveals the hidden tips and tricks you never hear about, and may never find on your own. His presentation style is well organized, succinct and practical. Jordan’s training can save you time, save you money, save your client, and save your sanity, during production and post-production.
Jordan, based in Los Angeles, writes and edits the monthly free Larry Jordan Final Cut Studio Newsletter, with essential information on Final Cut Studio. He is the author of hundreds of hours of online training and five books on Final Cut Studio. He also hosts the weekly interactive internet radio show and podcast, Digital Production BuZZ (http://www.digitalproductionbuZZ.com).
For more information about Larry Jordan, please visit http://www.larryjordan.biz.
Training featuring Larry